It can be really challenging to stick with health and fitness goals. Really, really challenging. Most days, I secretly dream of a cheeseburger and fries from Five Guys, or a smoked butterscotch latte from Starbucks. There are mornings when I’ve had four hours of sleep, and can’t imagine dragging my tired butt to the gym. And those days when the scale doesn’t move or, worse, I’ve gained weight…it was so tempting to just give up.
Over the last few months, however, I have found a strategy that really helps to keep me motivated, and keep my eyes on the prize. Instagram.
I know, I have written blogs about avoiding social media, but Instagram can actually help you to stay motivated. It can provide fitness inspiration! All you have to do is find and follow people who inspire you to stay on track. I follow a variety of fitness models, and fitness junkies. I follow women who have lost a tremendous amount of weight, and those who have a positive attitude about health and fitness. Their enthusiasm is contagious. I also follow food bloggers who specialize in healthy eating! In the morning, as I drink my coffee, I watch their “Instastories,” or read their most recent posts.
Seeing these other women who are in great shape, or getting in great shape, is so inspiring each day. It makes me want to go to the gym. Seeing healthy recipes helps me to stay on track, and avoid the local Dunkin Donuts.
So how do you find inspiring people to follow?
- Look for people who you aspire to be like.
- If you are looking to lose weight, find someone who has lost a significant amount of weight, and has managed to keep it off.
- If you want to lift weights and be strong, find someone who lifts heavy.
- Want to build your ideal physique? Find someone who has a body type like yours, with the physique you want.
- Look for food bloggers who will fill your Instafeed with yummy, healthy meals!
- Avoid following people who create an unrealistic expectation. And avoid people who are just trying to sell you something (or lots of things). No tea is going to get you to where you want to be.
- Don’t compare yourself! Just get inspired. I especially love following fitness folks who share before and after photos of their own transformation!
Who I am following:
- FatGirlFedUp: This girl is so inspiring you guys. She has lost more than 300 lbs in two years, on her own. No surgery, no gimmicks, just hard work. And she has such a great attitude!
- MomsCanBeFit: Another really inspiring woman, in her early 40s. She shares her transformation over the last few years as she’s struggled to manage Hashimoto’s Disease. Her abs are ah-ma-zing.
- Michelle Lewin: She is a world renowned fitness professional, and her physique is my amazing. She is strong, and muscular, without being too skinny!
- FaithLFit: Faith is a college student, and fitness inspiration. She is in great shape, but really focuses on body positivity! Check out the short film she created about this very topic.
Other favorites include:
- Jaime Eason
- Kathleen Tesori
- Katy Hearn
- Linda Durbesson
- Lais Deleon
Feeling brave, and want some help with accountability?
Start your own Instagram account to document your journey. Posting progress (or lack of progress) for others to see is a great way to help you stay on track, and find a community of others who will share your journey, and cheer you on! And, you can remain anonymous. I may or may not have one of these accounts, already.
Where do you find your fitness inspiration? Who helps you to stay on track? Share your thoughts below!